Friday, January 14, 2011

Travel Journal...part 4!

Paris: Paris was my favorite city. Which is funny because Rome was supposed to be my favorite city. Oh well. :P
I absolutely loved Paris. We got there late, and after a taxi ride where the driver spoke no English, arrived at our hostel to find that I had no money in my bank. Oh. Boy. I was so stressed out, I emailed my mom crying and finally got to call her. It was so good to know that even though I’m 5,000 miles away my mommy can still take care of me. It was also pretty humbling because it made me realize that although I’m 5,000 miles away I still need my mom to take care of me. I am so blessed by a family who cares for me, and it was that night that I truly realized how excited I am to go home and see them. So, momma and daddy, I do miss you ;)
The next day we of course started with Paris’ biggest and well-known landmark, the Eiffel Tower. It’s crazy that something made of iron can be so beautiful, but it is. After standing in line for an hour to go to the top, we realized it wasn’t going all the way to the top so we got out of line and headed somewhere else. We took some fun pictures and wandered around, and then, like the true North Americans we are, we found a Starbucks. It was fun just to relax on a cold and rainy day in Paris. We explored some more and ended up at the Notre Dame. It’s huge! But not as huge as I expected it to be. Disney movies kinda messed that up for me, there’s no way Quasimodo would be able to hang from those spires and be all the way up there, I could hang on those spires if I wanted! We then ate our first French Crepe….and ooooh. It. Was. Good. I love crepes. After that we headed back to our hostel for a good nights sleep….except for that our room was right above the bar that’s open till 2 am and the drunk singing Spanish girls……

We woke up to rain. It never rained in England when we were there, but when we came to Paris, it rained. Oh well, we had a game plan…the Louvre. I thought that the Louvre was just that glass pyramid and the stuff underneath it. Oh no. The Louvre is the entire building around and underneath it! It was huge! 2 hours in and I was so tired of it already. Haha. We first saw our friend Mona Lisa. Boy was that disappointing! She’s so small and encased in a huge glass case! It’s crazy that people go mad over that painting. Sure, she doesn’t really smile. Sure, we don’t really know who she is. She probably wanted it that way! After exploring more Corinne and I took a break from thinking and went outside and played in the rain. It was so fun. I am so blessed by my friend Corinne and so glad for the friendship God has given me. We had a blast. After drying off in Starbucks, we went in for round two…and oh it was long. Finally, when we were tired of looking at paintings, (even though some of the really famous ones were pretty cool), we left in search of food.

The best thing about Paris? The bakeries are SO GOOD! We seriously wanted to eat baguettes and croissants all day. After this is was night time, and it had stopped raining, so we went to the Eiffel Tour and saw it all lit up on pretty. We ate yummy crepes and I discovered that the boy I marry better make crepes as good as the French can.
Our last day in Paris we went to the Champ Eleysses….or the big arc where the Tour de France bike riders finish the race under. I basically only went there because dad really wanted pictures of it, but it was fun…I guess. The fact that it was pouring rain probably didn’t help but it was really big and cool to see the thing that lets my heart know…yes! I get t.v back again because the race is over! :P

We then drank chai and ate baguettes from a bakery and they were so good. We then seached for more crepes and Madelines, went up to the top of the Eiffel Tour, (which is incredibly high! So scary!) and enjoyed a last night in Paris while singing “So thissss is the niggggthhhhttt it’s a beauuuuttifulll nighhtt and they callllll it Belllllllla Notttteeeee!”
We left at 6:30 the next morning, made it on our plane, got delayed in the air, got to Liverpool, had the taxi driver be real nice and drive us all the way to school, and loved seeing the sight of our castle.

Now I’m in the biggest room in the castle, it holds 7 of us, and it’s going to get some getting used too. I never really hung out with all the girls before but we’re all pretty chill and get along so I’m excited. God is going to teach us some awesome things this term and I’m excited to see what he does in my last 10ish weeks in England.
Well, that’s Christmas break in a nutshell. Hope you enjoyed reading about my adventures! Miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment