Monday, January 17, 2011

10 Day Outreach!

Today was quite the day. First off, let’s just say that today was the day we found out where we’re going for 10 day outreach. Now let’s say that we’ve been waiting for this day since the beginning of last term. So how nice of the Capernwray staff to make it the very last lecture of the day, building our anticipation and making us pray that we got people we wanted to be with. By the time Carolyn (The Outreach Director) got up, I was so nervous I was shaking. Not out of nerves to be going somewhere, just because lets just say I there was one person I was really hoping I wouldn’t be with, (Jesus forgive me!) Then, Carolyn started talking about an outreach called Caton about 30 minutes away. She kept looking at my row. I kept praying it wasn’t mine. Who wants to go 30 minutes away for their outreach? I listened as she read off the names of all the people around me, except for me. I breathed a sigh of relief. Then suddenly, she announced the name of the team leader, “Katie MacDonald!” Oh boy. The best part is when she described what we would be doing. “I laughed when this team formed because of one of the things they will be doing, you lucky guys will be doing some…football outreach!” Oh boy again. It’s me, 4 other girly girls, and one boy from Texas who never wears shoes. Oh gosh.

So it’s been an interesting morning. I’m in charge of 10 days and 5 other people. Some older than me. They say they choose leaders very carefully, watching what you do and how you do things, and pray, pray, pray that the right leader for that team would come along. The fact that I was chosen was so mind-blowing because I don’t think of myself as a leader at all. But I guess that I did pray that God would stretch me and mold me more and more into the woman he wants me to be, and I guess being a leader is something he’s shaping in me. It’s going to be an interesting ride, and I am really excited to see how it plays out. Included in our outreach is working in youth ministry (which I’m SUPER stoked about), going into schools, leading men and women’s bible studies, and leading worship (I am the only musician on our team, oh boy again.)


I’m a little confused about this outreach and why God wants me here, because the reason I wasn’t chosen to go to Kenya was because Carolyn really felt God telling her I was meant to be here. I honestly didn’t expect “here” to be so close, but if it’s where God wants me to be, it’s where I’m going to go, and I’m going to go with an open heart and mind to all that he has to offer me. Pray for me as a leader, that I will be the kind of leader that God wants me to be, that our team will grow together and all our differences will work to the benefit of the church we’re going to, and that we will have a perfect peace over God’s plan for these 10 days.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again.
Oh. Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment