Saturday, December 11, 2010

What a crazy week!

There’s only 5 days left until the break and it’s going fast! Let’s see, what happened this week? Well, first off, we did not go to my family’s for breakfast, because the night before, it snowed 1 inch, and they were afraid we wouldn’t be able to get to their house….nope. I’m not kidding. They really freak out over snow here. It was okay though, because we still had Secret Santa, and it was really fun. I got some yummy chocolate and colored pencils. The only funny thing about one of the chocolates, unknown to my secret Santa since most of the ingredients were in German, was that they were alcohol-soaked truffles. Whoops! I put one in my mouth and instantly made the weirdest face…during lectures by the way, and everyone looked at me like I crazy. Oh geez. Those things were nasty. Why do people like alcohol? It’s GROSS! Well, that was fun. My poor brother felt so bad. After giving away my truffles to people not telling them what was in it to see their faces, I kept the bag to remember. Oh goodness.
Thursday was the best day so far. While talking to my grandparents…suddenly the lights went out and machines started beeping (the phones still worked though strangely). Turns out someone had cut through a wire, and we, including 1000 other homes in the country, were without power…until around 3 in the morning. It was SO FUN! We all sat in the hallway with the stairs, by the fire, hung out, huddled together to stay warm…since the heat was off of course, and then had a candle-lit dinner of bread, chips, and Cadbury Chocolate Spread (Rival to Nutella, and almost better). Later, we all sat on the stairs and sang Christmas carols. It was so great. It was really nice just to be able to fellowship with each other and hang out. It was a really nice time and it’s probably going to be one of my favorite memories. The downside to all this fun-ness? In our side of the Conference Hall, we do not heat, only space heaters. And guess what doesn’t work without power? Our lovely space heater. So our rooms were freezing. I probably wore all my clothes that night and never moved. It wasn’t so bad. But it wasn’t great either. ;)
Yesterday (Friday), we went back to Carnforth to plan more Christmas. Now, we have a hostel in Venice, and a train to Rome. We’re getting there! Now we only need places to stay in Rome, a way to get from Rome to Paris, places to stay in Paris, and then a way back to Manchester. If anyone knows anyone who lives in any places who would like to have 4 poor college students stay with them, it would be greatly appreciated! Haha.
Well, tonight is the talent show. And knowing some of these people, it’s going to be ridiculous.
Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment